SHEBA Field Campaign
Model Initialization Data
SHEBA is a coordinated project to investigate the role of arctic climate in global change. The primary goals of SHEBA are:
- To determine the ocean-ice-atmosphere processes that control the surface albedo and cloud-radiation feedback mechanisms over arctic pack ice, and to use this information to demonstrably improve models of arctic ocean-atmosphere-ice interactive processes,
- To develop and implement models that improve the simulation of the present day arctic climate, including its variability, utilizing coupled global climate models
This case study presents data from 1 May 1998 to 31 July 1998 and covers a region from 65N to 90N latitude and from 180W to 120W longitude.
6-hourly NCEP Reanalysis data are available here for certain pressure level, surface, and surface flux variables.
- Air temperature, Geopotential height, and U-wind and V-wind data are available at 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Relative humidity and Specific humidity data are available at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Vertical velocity data are available at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Surface pressure, Sea-level pressure, Surface Temperature, Soil Temperature (0-10 cm), Soil Temperature (10-200 cm), Soil moisture (0-10 cm), and Soil Moisture(10-200 cm) data are available at a single level.
- A land/sea map and surface height map are also available.
- Read NCEP data README
- Download all NCEP levels and variables in one archive
- Download selected files
- Browse NCEP data for selected levels and variables