M-PACE Field Campaign
Model Initialization Data
The major objective of the Mixed-Phase Arctic Cloud Experiment (M-PACE) is to collect a focused set of observations needed to advance our understanding of the dynamics and processes in mixed-phase arctic clouds, including cloud microphysical processes and radiative transfer through these clouds.
The M-PACE will consist of 4 surface based sites located in the North Slope of Alaska, including the 2 DOE-ARM NSA sites Barrow and Atqasuk supplemented by another remote sensing site at Oliktok Point and a radiosonde site in the interior. The Oliktok Point site will be equipped with an ARM-like remote sensing facility, supplemented by a tethered balloon equipped with basic met. Aircraft equipped with the full complement of microphysical and radiation instruments will document cloud properties between these four points.
The University of North Dakota Citation will be the in situ platform, while the DOE-ARM UAV will serve as a high-flying remote sensing platform. In addition to its standard set of microphysical measurement systems, the Citation will be equipped with the NCAR CCN counter and the CSU IN counter, while the UAV will have downward looking cloud radar, lidar and S-HIS in addition to its complement of in situ microphysical measurement systems.
This case study presents data from 27 Sep 2004 to 22 Oct 2004 and covers a region from 65N to 75N latitude and from 160W to 145W longitude.
6-hourly NCEP Reanalysis data are available here for certain pressure level, surface, and surface flux variables.
- Air temperature, Geopotential height, and U-wind and V-wind data are available at 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Relative humidity and Specific humidity data are available at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Vertical velocity data are available at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Surface pressure, Sea-level pressure, Surface Temperature, Soil Temperature (0-10 cm), Soil Temperature (10-200 cm), Soil moisture (0-10 cm), and Soil Moisture(10-200 cm) data are available at a single level.
- A land/sea map and surface height map are also available.
- Read NCEP data README
- Download all NCEP levels and variables in one archive
- Download selected files
- Browse NCEP data for selected levels and variables