GTE/TRACE-A Field Campaign
Model Initialization Data
An aircraft campaign was conducted from 21 September through 24 October 1992 as the NASA Global Tropospheric Experiment - Transport and Atmospheric Chemistry near the Equator-Atlantic (GTE/TRACE-A) to understand processes in the tropical atmosphere controlling atmospheric chemical composition and aerosols, in particular convective transports (see special 30 October 1996 issue of Journal of Geophys ical Research - Atmospheres). Fourteen aircraft flights (NASA DC-8 and Brazilian aircraft, including cooperation with an African experiment conducted by European investigators: Southern African Fire-Atmosphere Research Initiative) covered areas of biomass burning, convective and continental outflow regions, and areas of large-scale subsidence over and between tropical South America and Africa. Aircraft measurements were supported by enhanced surface and upper air meteorological observations, a special ozone-sonde network, and satellite observations. The experimental region extends from 40S-0 latitude and from 40E-70W longitude. (Fishman et al., 1996, JGR 101, 23865-23879; Pickering et al., 1996, JGR 101, 23993-24012; Thompson et al., 1996, JGR 101, 24251-24278).
This case study presents data from 21 Sep 1992 to 24 Oct 1992 and covers a region from 40S to 10N latitude and from 80W to 20W longitude.
6-hourly NCEP Reanalysis data are available here for certain pressure level, surface, and surface flux variables.
- Air temperature, Geopotential height, and U-wind and V-wind data are available at 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Relative humidity and Specific humidity data are available at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Vertical velocity data are available at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Surface pressure, Sea-level pressure, Surface Temperature, Soil Temperature (0-10 cm), Soil Temperature (10-200 cm), Soil moisture (0-10 cm), and Soil Moisture(10-200 cm) data are available at a single level.
- A land/sea map and surface height map are also available.
- Read NCEP data README
- Download all NCEP levels and variables in one archive.
- Download selected files
- Browse NCEP data for selected levels and variables