EPIC 2001 Field Campaign
Model Initialization Data
The purpose of the project was to investigate processes in the atmosphere and ocean that are known to be poorly represented in climate models: deep convective processes in the ITCZ, low-level cross-equatorial atmospheric flow into the ITCZ, mixing, transport and energy balance in the thin layer of warm surface water north of the equator and energy balance in the stratocumulus-topped region of cold water south of the equator.water south of the equator.
This case study presents data from 1 Sep 2001 to 31 Oct 2001 and covers a region from 5S to 20N latitude and from 110W to 85W longitude.
6-hourly NCEP Reanalysis data are available here for certain pressure level, surface, and surface flux variables.
- Air temperature, Geopotential height, and U-wind and V-wind data are available at 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Relative humidity and Specific humidity data are available at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Vertical velocity data are available at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Surface pressure, Sea-level pressure, Surface Temperature, Soil Temperature (0-10 cm), Soil Temperature (10-200 cm), Soil moisture (0-10 cm), and Soil Moisture(10-200 cm) data are available at a single level.
- A land/sea map and surface height map are also available.
- Read NCEP data README
- Download all NCEP levels and variables in one archive
- Download selected files
- Browse NCEP data for selected levels and variables