ARM-1997 SGP IOP Field Campaign
Model Initialization Data
The Summer 1997 SCM IOP was scheduled with the SGP97 Campaign. With additional NASA funding, the IOP was extended so that the total IOP covered 30 days. This IOP was been chosen for a model intercomparison of Single-Column Models (SCMs) and Cloud-Resolving Models (CRMs) conducted jointly by ARM and the GEWEX Cloud System Study (GCSS). In addition, this IOP was chosen for ARM/GCSS case study since it was convectively driven, and the period contained a wide range of summertime weather conditions. The period was characterized by three distinct weather segments: (1) the first segment was dominated by local convection and frequent, heavy precipitation; (2) the next segment was generally clear and hot; (3) the last segment was affected by a large, convective complex with sustained precipitation.
This case study presents data from 18 June 1997 to 18 July 1997 and covers a region from 25N to 45N latitude and from 120W to 80W longitude.
6-hourly NCEP Reanalysis data are available here for certain pressure level, surface, and surface flux variables.
- Air temperature, Geopotential height, and U-wind and V-wind data are available at 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Relative humidity and Specific humidity data are available at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Vertical velocity data are available at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Surface pressure, Sea-level pressure, Surface Temperature, Soil Temperature (0-10 cm), Soil Temperature (10-200 cm), Soil moisture (0-10 cm), and Soil Moisture(10-200 cm) data are available at a single level.
- A land/sea map and surface height map are also available.
- Read NCEP data README
- Download all NCEP levels and variables in one archive
- Download selected files
- Browse NCEP data for selected levels and variables