ARM-2000 SGP IOP Field Campaign
NCEP Model Initialization Data
The Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program conducted a Cloud Intensive Operational Period (IOP) in March 2000 that was the first-ever effort to document the 3-dimensional cloud field from observational data. Prior numerical studies of solar radiation propagation through the atmosphere in the presence of clouds have been limited by the necessity to use theoretical representations of clouds. Three-dimensional representations of actual clouds and their microphysical properties, such as the distribution of ice and water, had previously not been possible because instrumentation appropriate to the task was not available.
This case study presents data from 1 March 2000 to 31 March 2000 and covers a region from 25N to 45N latitude and from 120W to 80W longitude.
6-hourly NCEP Reanalysis data are available here for certain pressure level, surface, and surface flux variables.
- Air temperature, Geopotential height, and U-wind and V-wind data are available at 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Relative humidity and Specific humidity data are available at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Vertical velocity data are available at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 850, 925, 1000 mb.
- Surface pressure, Sea-level pressure, Surface Temperature, Soil Temperature (0-10 cm), Soil Temperature (10-200 cm), Soil moisture (0-10 cm), and Soil Moisture(10-200 cm) data are available at a single level.
- A land/sea map and surface height map are also available.
- Read NCEP data README
- Download all NCEP levels and variables in one archive
- Download selected files
- Browse NCEP data for selected levels and variables